How do i find out the IP Address of my router?

Topics containing frequently asked questions and common issues can be found here
Dave
Project Manager
Project Manager

How do i find out the IP Address of my router?

Post by Dave »

So from time to time it maybe that you need to access your router in order to make some changes to the configuration or setup.

So the next question naturally would be how do i do this? .. So for this you are going to need to find out what Local IP address has been assigned to your router in order to access it.

So for this to happen you need to either be connected to your router via a wireless connection or connected directly using an ethernet cable into one of the ports on the router.

Once you have this bit done you then need to open command prompt.

To open Command prompt i find the easiest way to do this is to press and hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press the letter R which will open the run box and type in the word "cmd" as shown below.
Run box.jpg
Run box.jpg (19.49 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Once you have done this click on the Ok button to open the Command Prompt window.

Once in the Command Prompt Window you then need to type the following command - "ipconfig" as shown below
ipconfig.jpg
ipconfig.jpg (92.05 KiB) Viewed 89 times
So now you will be presented with something that looks like the above image, So here we basically have the connection details for both a Wireless and Cabled connection.

Examining the data the information we want is the "Default Gateway" address and then this we can type into the address bar in your chosen web browser and you should now be met with a login page to access your router.